Cuyahoga Valley Church | Statement of Faith
- GOD – There is only one, Creator of all things, infinitely perfect and eternally existing in three Persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit (Deuteronomy 6:4, Genesis 1-2, Psalm 145:3, John 1:1, Psalm 90:2).
- JESUS – The Lord Jesus Christ is fully divine and fully man. He was born of a virgin, lived a sinless life, performed authentic miracles, died in the place of sinners to pay for their sins, rose bodily from the grave, ascended into heaven, and works as mediator in heaven (Matthew 28:18-20, John 1:1, John 1:14, Isaiah 9:6, 2 Corinthians 5:21, 1 Peter 2:21, Matthew 28:6, 1 John 2:1).
- HOLY SPIRIT – Spiritual life given by the Holy Spirit is absolutely necessary for the salvation of man. His ministry includes indwelling and regenerating the believer, enabling him to live a godly life (John 3:5-7, Romans 8:9-11, 1 Corinthians 6:19).
- THE BIBLE – The Bible is the inspired, infallible, and authoritative Word of God without error in its original writings it is:
Inspired – The Bible was given to us by God through human writers (2 Timothy 3:16, 2 Peter 1:21).
Infallible – It is not misleading and is a sure, safe, and reliable rule and guide in all matters (Proverbs 30:5).
Inerrant – It is free from all falsehood or mistakes and is entirely true and trustworthy (Matthew 4:4, Deuteronomy 8:3, Matthew 5:17-18).
- MAN – Although man was created in the image of God, he sinned, causing physical death and separation from God. All human beings are born with a sinful nature, and exercise their sinful nature in thought, word, and deed (Genesis 1:27, 2:17, Romans 6:23, 5:12-14, 3:23, 3:10).
- SALVATION – The sinless life, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ provide the only basis for the salvation of all who believe. Only those who receive Jesus Christ as Lord, exercising repentance and faith in Him, are children of God (1 Corinthians 15:3-6, John 14:6, Acts 4:12, John 1:12).
- THE FUTURE – The Lord Jesus Christ will return bodily to the earth to complete our salvation and establish His kingdom. All the dead will experience a bodily resurrection, the believer to eternal joy with the Lord, and the unbeliever to judgement and eternal punishment. (1 Thessalonians 4:13-18, 1 John 3:2, Daniel 12:2, Revelation 7:14We Also affirm the “Baptist Faith and Message” (1963) and the “Second London Confession” (1689).
Essential Beliefs on Cultural Issues
Gender Identity. We believe that God wonderfully and immutably creates each person as male or female. These two distinct, complementary genders together reflect the image and nature of God (Genesis 1:26-27; Matt. 19:4; Mark 10:6).
Marriage and Sexuality.
- We believe that the term “marriage” has only one, legitimate meaning, and that is marriage sanctioned by God, which joins one man and one woman in a single, covenantal union, as taught by the Bible. Marriage ceremonies performed by any pastor of this church or in any facility owned, leased, or rented by this church will be only those ceremonies sanctioned by God joining one man with one woman as their sex was determined at birth. Whenever there is a conflict between the church’s position and any new legal standard for marriage, the church’s Statement of Faith, doctrines, and biblical positions will govern (Gen. 2:24; Eph. 5:22-23; Mark 10:6-9; 1 Cor. 7:1-9).
- We believe that God has commanded that no intimate sexual activity be engaged in outside of marriage as defined in (1) above. We believe that any other types of sexual activity, identity, or expression that lie outside of this definition of marriage, including those that are or might become more accepted in the culture and the courts, are contradictory to God’s natural design and purpose for sexual activity (Gen. 2:24; Lev. 18:1-30; Rom. 1: 26-29; 1 Cor. 5:1; 6:9-10; 1 Thess. 4:1-8; Heb. 13:4).
- We believe that men and women are spiritually equal in position before God and that God has ordained distinct spiritual roles in the home and the church (Gal. 3:28; Col. 3:18; 1 Tim. 2:8-15; 3:4-5, 12).
- We believe that God has ordained the family as the foundational institution of human society. The husband’s biblical role is to love and lead his wife sacrificially as Christ loves and leads the church. The wife’s biblical role is to submit herself to her husband just as the church submits to the headship of Christ. Children are a wonderful gift and heritage from the Lord. Parents are responsible for teaching their children biblical values through consistent lifestyle example and appropriate training and discipline (Gen. 1:26-28; Exodus 20:12; Deut. 6:4-9; Psalm 127:3-5; Prov. 19:18; 22:15; 23:13-14; Mark 10:6-12; 1 Cor. 7:1-16; Eph. 5:21-33; 6:1-4; Col. 3:18-21; 1 Pet. 3:1-7).
Divorce and Remarriage. We believe that God hates divorce. We believe that repentance and restoration in a broken marriage best glorifies God, and that the only two scenarios seen in Scripture where divorce is allowed are adultery or abandonment. Although divorced and remarried persons may hold positions of service in the church and may be greatly used by God, anyone who seeks and obtains an unbiblical divorce or remarriage may not be considered for the office of pastor or elder (Mal. 2:14-17; Matt. 19:3-12; Mark 10:11-12; Rom. 7:1-3; 1 Tim. 3:2, 12; Titus 1:6; 1 Cor. 7:10-16).
Abortion.We believe that human life begins at conception and that the unborn child is a living human being. Abortion is murder and constitutes the taking of unborn human life (Job 3:16; Ps. 51:5; 139:13-16; Isa. 44:24; 49:1, 5; Jer. 1:5; 20:15-18; Luke 1:36, 44).
Euthanasia. We believe that an act or omission which, of itself or by intention, facilitates premature death, is assuming a decision that is to be reserved for God. We do not believe that discontinuing medical procedures that are extraordinary or disproportionate to the expected outcome is euthanasia (Ex. 20:13; 23:7; Matt. 5:21; Acts 17:28).
Lawsuits Within the Church. We believe that Christians are prohibited from bringing civil lawsuits within the church and should make every effort to live in peace and resolve disputes with each other in private or within the church (1 Corinthians 6:1-8; Ephesians 4:31-32).
Protection of Children. We believe that children are a heritage from the Lord and must be absolutely protected from any form of abuse or molestation by any person, whether church staff, volunteer, member, or visitor (Psalm 127:3-5; Matt. 18:6; Matt. 19:14; Mark 10:14).
Love. We believe that we should demonstrate love for others, not only toward fellow believers, but also toward those who are not believers, those who oppose us, and those who engage in sinful actions. We are to deal with those who oppose us graciously, gently, patiently, and humbly. God forbids the stirring up of strife, the taking of revenge, or the threat or use of violence as a means of resolving personal conflict or obtaining personal justice. Although God commands us to abhor sinful actions, we are to love and pray for any person who engages in such actions (Lev. 19:18; Matt. 5:44-48; Luke 6:31; John 13:34-35; Rom. 12:9-10; 17-21; 13:8-10; Phil. 2:2-4; 2 Tim. 2:24-26; Titus 3:2; 1 Peter 3:8-9; 1 John 3:17-18).