Could use an image from the visit as the featured image..
Why has CVC adopted the Sasak on Lombok Island in Indonesia as a UPG?
There are 3,000,000+ people on Lombok. Only a few hundred are followers of Jesus. The spiritual darkness and oppression are palpable. Monotonous, droning chants of prayer blare five times a day from the mosques. The influence of Islam is inescapable. Joyless duty-driven religion mixed with fear-based animism prevails.
We can use no loud speakers. There can be no preaching to gatherings and no passing out literature. That will get you sent out of the village and the country. Just build a relationship and then – with great cultural awareness and sensitivity – boldly start a good news conversation.
We desperately need to glorify God through a church planting movements (CPM) among the SOLI – Sasak On Lombok Island. T & K (we cannot share their names) are IMB missionaries to the Sasak. They are seeking to launch church planting movement capable teams, raise up indigenous leaders, and rapidly reproduce obedient Christ-followers in each village and city. By transforming the hearts of these people, we are trusting God to spawn a movement to transform their society and beyond.
We heard it said that in this culture it takes 25 hearings of the Gospel before the average person will respond. “It’s an island with much physical beauty but much spiritual darkness. Please pray for 60,000 believers in 6,000 house churches in the next 10 years or sooner.
How Can I Pray?
- Pray that God will raise up more laborers to join the few existing workers in a true church planting movement.
- Pray for the hearts of the indigenous Sasak people to receive, adore, worship, and obey the Lord Jesus.
- Pray for the hearts of the believers to grow in passion and compassion for the lost Sasak people of Lombok, Indonesia.
- Pray that Sasak believers and churches will catch a vision to share the gospel in a culturally relevant and sensitive ways.
- Pray that the missionaries (T & K) and their national workers will be led to “persons of peace” who, in turn, will lead entire households and communities to Christ.
- Pray that the missionaries and the national workers will rely upon the Holy Spirit to guide them as they develop strategy, seek divine appointments, do evangelism, and plant churches
- Pray that new believers will be obedient to the Word of God and persevere in the face of persecution.
- Pray that as these new believing households will be transformed through loving obedience to Christ and will begin to engage others in their own communities in ways to see transformation in their communities.
- Pray against the spiritual principalities and powers that have kept the Sasak bound for many generations.
- Ask the Lord to raise up laborers who understand the Muslim culture and who can effectively take the Gospel to the Sasak.
- Pray that the Sasak will become dissatisfied with Islam and will begin searching for the Truth.
- Pray that the people of Lombok -which means “straight way” – will find Jesus as the Way and will walk the narrow way to life eternal.
- Ask God to strengthen, encourage, and protect the small number of Sasak believers.
- Ask the Holy Spirit to soften the hearts of these Muslims towards Christians so that they will be receptive to the Gospel.
- Ask the Lord to give the Sasak dreams and visions of Jesus so that they will be receptive to the gospel.
How can we pray for the missionaries, T & K?
- Baby on the way
- Family stresses
- Need for relationships with the Sasak – open doors, people of peace
- Need for great mentors and coaches
- National workers
- Starting a tourist business
- Visa strategy